Something I’ve been trying recently is reducing my carb intake. This is something that is pretty much unheard of in the vegan community. There is a lot of High Carb Low Fat, 80/10/10 type diets that have large followings. While this type of diet clearly really works for a lot of people, it’s not working for me.
I wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet, to help lose those last few kilos (since going vegan I’ve lost about 7kgs so far with little to no effort). You might have also read about my skin problems of late, and eating less sugar and processed foods will hopefully help clear some of this up.
A quick disclaimer. I am not a dietician, nutritionist, or anything of the sort. These are merely just a few meals I’ve been loving and making of late that are lower in carbohydrates. I’m also trying to eat more whole foods, and less processed foods.
Below I’ve listed out some of my favourite recipes and foods I’ve been having lately. If there is no recipe available online, I’ve written out the ingredients that I use. Please keep in mind that because we all have different body types and metabolisms, some of these food amounts will need to be tweaked for your body and your goals. I use Cron-o-meter to track my food on my computer. This phone app costs money, but desktop version is free. Shhh!
I also put lunches and dinners together, because I usually do meal prep and cook batches of two or four servings of a meal at a time.
- Southwest Tofu Scramble I swap out the capsicum and kale for wilted spinach, mushrooms and bokchoy.
Chia Pudding with raspberries
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (optional)
- Mix in a container and leave in fridge overnight
- Homemade Protein Bars I sometimes make these without the dark chocolate, they are pretty tasty both ways!
- Soy & Ginger Green Stirfry with Slendier Noodles – I play around with amounts of different vegetables
- small onion
- pak choy
- baby spinach leaves
- asparagus spears
- minced garlic
- slendier noodles
- Sauce – teaspoon minced ginger, 4 TBSP soy sauce or tamari, chilli powder (optional), mix and add to finished stirfry
- Tofu Curry Stirfry (the same recipe as above, except change the sauce to be:
- 1/3rd jar of yellow curry paste
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 TBSP peanut butter (optional – makes it a satay curry!)
- add ingredients to stir fry and stir through until coconut milk starts to thicken
- Zuchinni Fritters I normally have these with a salad, olive oil and lime juice
- Roasted Asparagus and Zucchini, Blanched Broccollini and Cauliflower Rice. A super simple recipe but SO delicious.
Roasted Unsalted Almonds
Celery with Almond Butter
Small snack of berries – these fruits are low in carbs but high in nutrition!
I hope this post was helpful for those looking for meal ideas for a low carb vegan diet!
Let me know if you’d like me to do a more posts like this in the future!