I just wanted touch on the negatives of regular toothpaste as well, because I was shocked to learn about what is in regular toothpaste that I have used for years! If you want to skip this part down to the recipe, feel free 🙂
Some scary things in regular toothpaste are:
- Fluoride has been linked to learning disabilities and ADHD in children, and can also result in mottled teeth.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) is what makes toothpaste foam. It can give some people canker sores in their mouths, and is also a skin irritant.
- Saccharin is a sweetener in some toothpastes which in animal testing has been linked to kidney cancer in laboratory rats.
- Animal Testing occurs with a lot of regular brand toothpastes, including Colgate. This results in pain and death for millions of animals every year. You can read more about animal testing here.
The act of brushing your teeth is more important that what you use as the ‘lubricant’ of toothpaste, so as long as you are brushing your teeth carefully twice a day and taking care of your teeth, you don’t need to have the nasty things added into your mouth every single day!
- 2-3 TBSP bi-carb soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp peppermint essence (or to taste)
- Mix the coconut oil with bi-carb soda in a bowl, and slowly add more if required.
- Stir in peppermint essence.
- Transfer from bowl to a jar.
*TIP – I used unrefined but you can use refined coconut oil to take out that coconut-y taste.
How easy is that! Let me know if you decide to make this toothpaste at home!
(Visited 308 times, 1 visits today)